Sunday, September 14, 2008

Planing Beds for Next Year


Making these 4 new beds in my backyard is probably going to take all winter. I'm just being realistic. It's being done slowly - in steps. Yesterday I marked out the beds and since I'm using the "lasagna gardening" method, based on the book by Patricia Lanza, I thought it might not be a bad idea to smother the grass while I'm waiting for my newspaper and wood chips to be added. That's when I noticed my daughter's gymnastics mat, rolled up and abaondoned under the deck. Sure enough, it was just about the size of the beds that I was planning. If you want to try this but don't have a gymnastics mat, maybe you have an old mattress on the side of your house waiting for bulk pickup day? (And maybe this is beginning to sound like a Jeff Foxworthy standup routine. "You might be a redneck if......") Anyway, if this does fit your circumstances, it could be a good hack.



In our school greenhouse, we're building a stone trough in the middle of the greenhouse. It will be permanent and filled with soil, and deep enough to plant carrots and potatoes. Now our classes will have a handy and accessible place to start seeds. The only thing I'm worried about is damage to the roots during transplanting. We've been using peat pots, which is a good way to protect the plant, but not such a good way to show the kids how root systems work.

5 comments:

tut-tut said...

Wow; good for you. One day, you'll have no grass to mow and rampant gardens of fruits, veg, and flowers.

One thing: do you know if you have any underground pipes, gas lines, septic and such under your spots? Good to know before you double-dig.

Joanne said...

You've got a great school there, very active with gardening/nature. What grade level is it? I'm guessing middle school?

Linda said...

We have been doing a new bed. My husband has a patch of grass to finish. It is large couch and difficult to get out.

Your dog looks very lovely.

Anonymous said...

Genius idea, the gymnastics mat. I know other folks who are doing the lasagna garden method, sounds really cool. Way to go, more plants, less lawn!

JGH said...

Tut, if all goes according to plan, the lasangna method won't require much digging because the soil is built up on top of the sod. Since I've never done this method before, I'm anxious to see if it really is so. Good idea to check for pipes in any case!

Joanne, we are an elementary school - K - 5th grade.