Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Let the Good Temps Roll on Mardi Gras


It's Mardi Gras. Laissez les bon temps roulez today, and let the good temps roll in, too, please. It was down to freezing again last night. After a drenching weekend rain, the last of the ice in the yard finally melted, only to turn into frozen puddles today. On Friday, our afterschool gardening class planted some seeds in the greenhouse, but it seems it may not be warm enough for them to germinate.


On Monday morning I checked the temperature – 50 degrees, but quickly warming up.

The greenhouse temps are regulated by a less than reliable thermostat, fans, heaters
and a timer.

The weekend rain also filled up the rain barrell.

Just to be sure, I started a big flat of peas, so that the kids would have something to plant even if their seeds don’t germinate.  Wish us luck!





Here’s a little Professor Longhair, king of New Orleans piano, playing my very favorite Mardi Gras song, "Big Chief."

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I can't believe it's planting time again. March seems to be on the cold side this year. I remember last year it got so warm in March, and then pretty much stayed warm. Good luck with the seeds, fingers crossed for lots of warm sunshine :)

tut-tut said...

Taking a make-your-own-rainbarrel workshop in April! good luck w/all the snow and rain :(

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I hope some seeds germinate for the kids to plant.

meemsnyc said...

I can't wait until the temperatures get warmer. My little seedlings don't want to sprout, it's too cold.