Sunday, January 27, 2013

Seeds in the Closet

My first tray of seeds was started under grow lights in my closet this weekend.  I just looked back at my old seed-starting posts --  I've never managed to get any seeds in during the month of January before!  I'm still waiting for my seed orders from this year to arrive, so I started with "old" seeds that were either saved or leftover from last year.  I'm hoping that this is only the first of several trays that I'll be starting in the next few weeks. Here's what went in:

Lettuce "Salad Bowl Blend" - Botanical Interests
Parsley "Italian Gigante" - Burpee
Cleome (saved from swap with community gardener Robin)
Zinnia (saved)
Cilantro (saved)
Savoy Cabbage (Baker Creek)

I used this "Pro Mix"
It contains 75% to 85% peat moss, Perlite, Limestone and "wetting agent"(wonder what that is!)







Are you starting any seeds indoors this year? I'd love to know what you're growing.

Older posts about seeds:
Seedling Experiment
Making a Seed Starter From Recyclables


2 comments:

tut-tut said...

I'm not sure I'm going to this year. There is a certain level of inertia around here. We were just up at the garden patch, and we have lots of mustard, leeks (!) hanging in there. There were little more than the breadth of a human hair when we transplanted them. Chard would be going gangbusters if rabbits or similar weren't enjoying it. Cabbage, kohlrabi not impressive.

Good luck with your seeds/seedlings. Last year's should do just fine.

Duncan said...

Brava!