The Poppytalk site has compiled 101 Reasons to Buy Handmade, but after spending time at the Fellowship Community’s annual Christmas Sale and Festival (in Chestnut Ridge, NY) I think I could come up with 101 reasons to do your holiday shopping there. Here are 10 to start with:
1) You Get to Look at the Chickens - they've got some purty ones.
2) They have toys
3) They have pottery and candles (and candle holders!).
4) You can eat there. This year there were some delicious Indian entrees and there's always good soups and excellent hummus. There's a common dining room where everyone sits to eat.
5) Joanne and Norma- I love being able to meet the people who made these gorgeous items, and sometimes see them year after year. Here are a couple of things I’ve purchased from Joanne.
And here’s what Norma made for me...
6) You'll hear music. In the dining room, there's always some live holiday tunes.
7) There are activities for the kids. Our girls made some felt ornaments, bead necklaces, origami, and elf decorating.
8) You can see a puppet show (not just for the kids- we grownups love them too)
9) They've got Stuff in Jars and Bottles made from what they grow in their garden.
10) You're supporting a wonderful community dedicated to care of the older person. The older people who live there often interact with younger residents, volunteers and students from the nearby Sunbridge College and Green Meadow Waldorf School. They believe that intergenerational social activities benefit people of all ages. Continuous learning and development at all stages of life is part of their mission.