Here’s some hideousness that is making me sad because it practically is in my backyard. This is what the easements in our area look like after the snow melts. (Sorry! I try to post mostly pretty photos on this blog....!)
Even spots that are designated part of the “Adopt a Highway” program are neglected.
Another sad thing is that we have the second largest mall in New York smack dab in the middle of West Nyack.
This mall is huge destination for out-of-town visitors, and this is what they see when they get off the thruway. Welcome to the armpit of New York State!
What can we do? Keep Rockland Beautiful has an annual litter cleanup. We’ve participated for the last few years and I’ve decided that it’s one of the perfect volunteer activities to do with your kids. Why?
1) It’s only once a year, for a few hours on the weekend.
2) It shows kids that we all need to take personal responsibility for the health and beauty of our neighborhoods
3) They will see the immediate results of their work.
4) They might get free goodies like tattoos and bracelets.
5) They can quit when they get tired.
6) They can sometimes find cool stuff like bird skeltons, blackberry vines, coins and rusty scythes from “ancient Florida.”
7) They can bring their friends.
8) They will feel proud of themselves afterwards.
If you live in or near Nyack and want to join our cleanup team on April 25 (raindate April 26) please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.