Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ghosts of Snowmen Past

You won’t believe what my son said when I asked him if he wanted to go outside and make a snowman with me.  “Mom, I’m not three years old anymore!”  Oh yeah?  Since when did snowman building become exclusive to toddlers?   This guy in West Nyack is sculpting amazing giant colored fish for god’s sake! 

My kids loved making snowmen until just a few years ago.  Last year all they could muster was this mini picnic table model. 
2010


Previous years were more impressive....

2009

2008


2007 (this one, as I recall, was anatomically correct in places)

2006


                                                                                 2005

2004


So what are they doing this year?  Making igloos and tunnels. 

What started as a simple tunnel through the snow the plow piled up became a maze of tunnels complete with a central dome and windows. 


Are you still playing in the snow?





7 comments:

Joanne said...

Hm, I'm voting for Snowman #5 as the best. It's funny how it looks like that mailbox is sprouting from his hat :)

I don't so much play in the snow as I walk in it. Just got back from one of those walks, wow is it cold out today!

Joanne said...

I meant Snowman #2005 :)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

What beautiful memories every year the snow has given you.

tina said...

Up until a few years ago I played in the snow. Namely sledding is my biggie! My son refuses to go build a snowman too. But really concerns me is the neighbor's kids (aged 11 and under) haven't built one yet. Geez, what's up with all the kids nowadays? Nothing better than a good snowman on a snow day, except perhaps snow forts. You know what comes next right? Yup, snowball fight!

TALON said...

Confession - when snow conditions are right my daughter (she's 28) and I will always concoct a snowman - we can't resist!

That is a seriously awesome snow tunnel and I loved the retrospective snowman shots, JGH!

Ash said...

That got me bursting!!! Awesome time with......Ghosts! LOL!!!! Enjoy to the core.... ;)

Ash....
(http://hastkala-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Pix E. said...

I remember being 14 and going with my parents and older siblings to build igloos and snowpeople in Prospect Park-- my parents loved winter, and all my sibs moved north to snowier places--and yes they all still build snowthings! Kids say the funniest things!